Referrals, referrals, referrals... Boy have I been getting a lot of questions about referrals!
- How do I get more referrals?
- Why would someone refer me? (good question)
- What's the best way to get referrals?
- Don't people get annoyed when I ask for a referral?
For the love of Mike, what is the big hang up with referrals?
Then it hit me...
I said to myself..."Self: They're all thinking about it the wrong way and they don't know it."
Your clients don't refer you to do YOU a favor. They do it to make themselves FEEL GOOD. It's totally selfish.
Think about the last time you recommended a great restaurant to a friend. You probably went on and on about how the edamame was perfectly crisp and the pinot noir was especially smooth.
And you felt good inside because you were turning your friend on to a great experience.
So...when you give great service and ask for referrals you give your clients the opportunity to feel good. Why wouldn't you want to do that for each and every client?
As I outline in my popular 7 Deadly Marketing Sins e-book...there are four reasons you're not getting all the referrals you want:
- You're uncomfortable asking (hopefully I've destroyed that mental barrier with the example above)
- You don't know how to ask. (the words you use make all the difference)
- You don't know when to ask. Timing is everything. Too early and you're not proven...too late and they've lost the mood.
- You don't make asking for referrals part of your marketing/selling/fulfillment system. i.e. A line item on the check list of "103 Things we do for each and every client."
Just my two cents...Let me know what's holding you back from getting more referral business? Post in the comments.