Ok, Ok…Rush Limbaugh…you either love him or hate him.
I don't really care either way, this isn't about politics.
It is about the RUSH LIMBAUGH MARKETING MACHINE…
See Rush is far more concerned with selling then politics. Politics simply provides the context…the bait for ATTRACTING a particular audience.
And, once the audience is corralled, Rush systematically performs daily cashectomies from audience to advertiser. For that reason, it's worth studying.
Here are the keys to Rush's machine:
1. Stand for something! Get this point and get it good. You, your business, your service, your product (dare I say your "brand")…must STAND FOR SOMETHING. What you stand for is not nearly as important as standing for something.
Stop trying to be everything to everyone and, as my friend John Kraft says be everything for the demanding [and profitable] few.
Having an opinion turns your business into a high-powered magnet, strongly ATTRACTING IDEAL CLIENTS and repelling poor prospects with equal strength.
2. Talk to your audience frequently (daily is preferred). There's a reason talk radio is a fabulous platform for sales…the hosts of these show, Rush included, build intimate relationships in the minds of their audience. You can't build a relationship deep relationship with another human being if you only speak with them 2-3 times a year.
3. Offer value for free…and offer something for money regularly (again, daily preferred). Biggest business mistake I've made in the last year, is stopping my daily email bulletins. Give value in your communications and don't be afraid to make an offer.
Honestly, if you're communicating with someone that has a problem you can solve, you're doing them a disservice by not offering your solution.
4. Have a long-term game plan. Look, I'll be shot at the next marketing consultant's union meeting, but in most cases marketing won't turn sales around overnight. But in about 99.999999% of the cases it will turn things around in 6-12 months.
Don't fall into the "I sent a direct mail piece once two years ago and it didn't work so I gave up" group. It takes some work, but not as much as you think.
5. Understand your audience. OK…this is the big one! Do all the others right and screw this one up and it's game over. Lack of clarity about who you're selling to and what big hairy problem they have is the #1 business killer in the world. Bar none.
But I have a solution…
Each month, I give away 4 or 5 "Marketing Intensive" strategy sessions geared to helping you get clear on where you want to be, where you are today, what's standing in your way…and most importantly, what NEXT STEP you should take to get closer to your goal.